Basically, terpenes are aromatic compounds present in a lot of plants as well as some insects. Cannabis naturally has high terpenes level. Cannabis flowers get potent smell or dank stank from terpenes. Generally, plants develop terpenes to keep away herbivorous animals that may eat them. In addition, it also helps to attract helpful pollinators and predators.
Why terpenes matter to users?
- Directly affect high.
- Has medical benefits
- Gives vape oil and marijuana its natural flavour
People buy terpenes mostly because they are natural spice kit. Below are some common terpenes you need to get familiar with.
- Mycerene – It is popular as ‘couch-lock’ terpene as it displays highly sedative effect
- Terpinolene – Has a woody or smokey aroma, slightly sedative, anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, and anti-cancer.
- Limonene – Citrus flavour, highly energetic and popular anti-depressant
- Alpha-Pinene – Energetic and therapeutic
- Beta-Caryophyllene – Peppery woody taste, strong anti-inflammatory, gastro-protective
- Humulene – Hunger suppressat and very anti-inflammatory
How terpenes are transforming cannabis opinion?
Scientific research as well as awareness regarding terpenes aromatherapy has created a revolution. Basically, all major components in terpenes are anti-inflammatory or analgesic [anti-pain].
According to research terpenes and cannabinoids work together in your endocannabinoid system [ECS]. THC was regarded as the only psychoactive chemical in cannabis plants but research revealed how CBD and terpenes help to increase or decrease the effects of other chemicals and THC in the body, when they interact with ECS.
For example, Mycerene increases THC effects inducing sleepiness as well as offers anticancer, anti-inflammatory effect. On the other hand Limonene is energizing antidepressant. Contact us if you want to know more.